www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using princexml.com converter tool in ASF projects (and publishing the artifacts)
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:51:15 GMT
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Filippo Diotalevi
<filippo.diotalevi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  following the example (and re-using most part of the code) of Apache
> Camel I've prepared a module to automatically convert Apache Felix
> Karaf wiki pages into a PDF manual.
> The code uses Apache Camel "maven-html-to-pdf" subproject, that in
> turns uses a closed source xml->pdf converter available at
> princexml.com. The license of this tool is available at [1] and copied
> at the end of the email (after the signature).
> A Personal license of the tools is available for free. The website
> reports the following statements about this license
> "We offer a free Personal license of Prince for interactive use on a
> single computer. [...] However, for other uses you will need to
> purchase one of the other licenses we offer. If you wish to run Prince
> on a server, you need to purchase a Server license.
> [...]
> If this is a Personal license, PDF documents generated by the Software
> include a message that identifies the Software and the license type.
> Licensee shall not change or remove this message."
> My questions:
> 1) Is it (legally) acceptable to install princexml in our build
> machine, so we can generate the PDF manual as part of the build
> process?

IANAL opinion - I don't think so. I don't think that would fit their
Personal license.

> 2) Is it acceptable to upload the generated PDF in our Maven
> repository and consider it part of Apache Felix Karaf release?

Apart from the "PDF created by Personal License" piece, there doesn't
appear to be anything else that speaks to the pdf's output from the
product. Not being able to remove that statement would mean we
couldn't license them under AL 2.0 and would need to treat the files
as binary (no great loss, but you would need to make that clear in the
license files).