www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Carrot2 License
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:55:41 GMT
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> My understanding of their intent is they are trying to make sure is that no
> one tries to patent something that C2 has created.  By their own admission,
> the current wording comes down to English being a second language for them.

Well, that will legally be close to impossible to enforce. If A
downloads and analyses Carrot2 and then explain it all to B, then B
has no relationship with Carrot2 and could go ahead with patent
registration. Their best bet (as someone said) is to be very public
about what they have done, publish it as prominently as possible. That
establishes prior art, and is easier to challenge in case it comes to
that.

It seems that they are "very co-operative", so probe to see if they
are willing to go with an Apache license directly. That gives their
downstream users an understanding that they are also not submarining
the project with patents, and makes our life easier. Downside, of
course, is the GPLv2 incompatibility claimed by FSF.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er