www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 04:07:59 GMT
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Craig L Russell<Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:

>> The ASF pom cannot cause the user to default to fetching a AL-incompatible
>> module.  This is not allowed.
>
> Note that in maven, there are transitive and non-transitive dependencies. A
> build time (test) dependency is not transitive; that is, it does not require
> the use of the dependency once the Apache project is built.
>
> If a developer builds an Apache project with a test dependency on an LGPL
> work, there's no transitive dependency. If the developer subsequently
> depends on the Apache project, their own pom would not cause the use of the
> LGPL work unless it was made an explicit dependency of their own project.

That is a fairly correct assessment, but I would like to point out
"intent" as well. If the intent is to circumvent such 'general rules',
then I think that should not be allowed.

E.g. Ponder over this scenario (I don't have the answers for this) ;

Java ProjectA is written without "import" of disallowed licensed
material, but upon start-up will download and cache locally an GPL'd
piece of codebase, and via reflection can get it to do the intended
things that ProjectA needs.
Now,
 1. Is this derivative work? I fail to see it is...
 2. Is it distribution, if not then GPL isn't viral? I fail to see it is...
 3. Is it "illegal" that my code is ALv2? I fail to see it is...

But, "common sense" (not sure how common that is in law) says that the
"intent" is to circumvent the GPL text and FSF written opinion on Java
"linking".

Should the ASF allow it? I think not... Even though it may be a
technical solution to an legal hinder, I think it goes against the
'spirit' of ASF.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer