www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@SUN.com>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 22:41:22 GMT

On Aug 25, 2009, at 9:59 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> In practical terms this would mean either a) distributing the
>> logback jar
>> along with the binaries or b) specifying logback as a maven
>> dependency
>> in a pom.xml.  In many projects this isn't an issue. The dependency
>> is
>> on SLF4J and the project's pom only specifies that and leaves it up
>> the end user to choose an implementation. But in other projects,
>> where
>> perhaps a running application is shipped, then a logging
>> implementation
>> is required. Ceki would like it to be Logback.
>
> As a complete/alternative package, distinct from the project's
> actual .jar
> distribution, I started spelling out the case to allow this in my
> last post.
>
> The ASF pom cannot cause the user to default to fetching a AL-
> incompatible
> module.  This is not allowed.

Note that in maven, there are transitive and non-transitive
dependencies. A build time (test) dependency is not transitive; that
is, it does not require the use of the dependency once the Apache
project is built.

If a developer builds an Apache project with a test dependency on an
LGPL work, there's no transitive dependency. If the developer
subsequently depends on the Apache project, their own pom would not
cause the use of the LGPL work unless it was made an explicit
dependency of their own project.

Craig

> If slf4j discovers the .jar already installed, fine, use it (IMHO,
> this is
> subject to debate).  Certainly by user configuration choice.
>
> If there is a user-controlled flag for the maven build to fetch a
> provider,
> that's fine.  If there is an alternative pom (clearly named) which
> offers
> the additional dependencies, thats fine.
>
> The "default" cannot cause the user to unknowingly fetch logback.
>
> Is this clearer?

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!