www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: SVNKit
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 02:59:15 GMT

On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Ralph Goers<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
> > wrote:
>> I wrote an Apache Commons VFS "Provider" for SVNKit. SVNKit's
>> license is at
>
> If you code against JavaHL instead of SVNKit, then you wouldn't have
> any licensing issues.  SVNKit has a mode where it is API-compatible
> with JavaHL.  JavaHL is the officially supported Java bindings for
> Subversion (hence under ALv2); SVNKit is wholly unsupported
> and...well...don't get me started on SVNKit...
>
> For more, see:
>
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/bindings/javahl/
> http://subclipse.tigris.org/wiki/JavaHL

Thanks, but I looked at that before I started. JavaHL basically gives
you the same functionality you get from the command line - checking
out files to a local file system, etc. Commons VFS wants Subversion to
be the filesystem. SVNKit provides an API to work directly with the
repository, which is exactly what was needed.

Ralph