www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Copyright notices in NOTICE file
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:34:15 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Todd Volkert<tvolkert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to clarify, in your judgement, are Pivot's NOTICE and LICENSE files
> correct as they stand now?

Hard to say for sure without looking deeper into Pivot and it's
dependencies. Some general notes though:

* I'd avoid mentioning the license terms in the NOTICE file. Simply
state the attribution where required, for example:

    This software contains images distributed as part of the
    Silk Icon Set, developed by Mark James.
    http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

* Some of the entries (BSD licensed ones) probably don't need to be
mentioned in the NOTICE file. See LEGAL-59 and LEGAL-62 for
background.

* For ALv2 dependencies like Tomcat, Groovy, etc., instead of stating
the dependency and the license it's under, you'll need to look inside
the NOTICE file of those dependencies and copy the relevant parts into
the Pivot NOTICE.

* I agree with Sebb's point about the divider lines, but it's your
call if you prefer to keep them. ALv2 just requires a "readable copy
of the attribution notices" in the NOTICE file, so the extra
formatting isn't too troublesome.

BR,

Jukka Zitting