www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:12:58 GMT

Ralph Goers wrote:

>  2. Is it distribution, if not then GPL isn't viral? I fail to see it is...
>
> I believe the FSF would argue that this is still distribution. Your
> application, not the end user, is the one doing the "distribution".

Jsecurity/Ki depending on logback during testing is not the same as
full fledged distribution but much closer to the notion of an optional
dependency.

With a *test* dependency, the end-user will not have LGPLed software
land on his or her computer just by downloading or using JSecurity/Ki. Only
developers who build JSecurity/Ki will have LGPLed software pulled in
onto their machine. By the way, this is also what happens with
optional dependencies.

However, if the software is built from source during distribution as
is done by Gentoo (that's the Linux distro we use at QOS.ch) the test
dependency will land on the end-user's machine (hence distribution),
but that is the same with optional dependencies as well.

By optional "dependency" I am referring to Maven's notion of an
optional dependency as declared in a dependency element of build file
(pom.xml).

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch