www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Carrot2 License
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:24:47 GMT
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> See below.

>>> Yes, I will contact them.
>>>

>> My contact email:
>> Hi Dawid and Stazek,
>>
>> Henri, below, has raised some concerns about including Carrot2 in ASF
>> releases.  There are two main concerns:
>>
>> 1. FastVector is Sun non-commercial code.
>
> BTW, this one concerns me b/c Nutch has been releasing with Carrot2 (C2)
> code for some time, AIUI.  I haven't checked whether this code is actually
> in the Nutch release.  Do we need to retroactively do something?  Note, it
> sounds like Dawid and Stazek will remove it going forward, as it is not
> needed anymore.

Retroactively - I don't think so. We're not using it for commercial
purposes so our distribution is not an issue for us directly imo.

However we shouldn't release with it unless:

a) We upgrade to the clean version
b) We remove it. Either rewrite the Carrot2 code to use Vector, or
maybe try to shove the Harmony version in with the same Carrot2
package name and see if Java binary support can hold up to such
hackery :) I'm assuming FastVector is a pure Vector API implementation
rather than special - haven't looked beyond the header.

a) seems easiest given that the Carrot2 team are very responsive.

Hen