www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Changing copyright before source is publicly available
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:21:51 GMT
2009/8/27 "C. Bergström" <codestr0m@osunix.org>:
> I may be donating some once proprietary code to the Apache foundation.  The
> company who is the now current copyright holder requested copyright be
> adjusted before it's open sourced.  Anyone understand why they would want
> this?  It's not a privacy concern at all, but what benefit does it maybe
> have to Apache?  (It just means more work for me in the end)

What do you mean by "adjusted"??

>From ASF's point of view, we will still need to execute a Software
Grant from the Copyright owners, and I don't think that it matters if
that happens on a tarball that contains the original proprietary
software or any "company OSS release". OTOH, end of the day, someone
will need to make the changes...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer