www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: BerkleyDB licensed binary in SVN for build only?!
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 04:33:04 GMT
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Simon
Willnauer<simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
> We (lucene) have a contrib project that provides a Index-Directory
> implementation based on BerkleyDB. This code downloads a jar file from
> http://downloads.osafoundation.org/... to build and test the code.
> This jar-file is not included in any distribution and we do not plan
> to do so. The problem is that the download site is down very
> frequently so we are looking for another way to obtain the jar. Here
> is the question do we violate the license if we add the jar-file to
> the svn repository but not distributing it at all? Another way would
> be to add the jar to a commiter page on people.apache.org and download
> it from there.
> The license is here:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/oslicense.html

Complicated matter.
BDB seems viral in that anything that uses must be made available in
source form. So, ASF has no problem fulfilling that requirement, but
downstream users may. OTOH, you say that the BDB is only used to build
(do you really need it to build?) and test your implementation, BUT
you say that you have an implementation based on BDB, so I presume
that it requires it to run.

My interpretation is;
 * IFF your component is purely optional, having a dependency on BDB
is Ok, provided it is not shipped with the release and that the user
is provided with the information that the BDB needs to be downloaded
separately and advised to review their license.

For your second part; Can you stick the BDB jar(s) somewhere more
reliably available?
 * Yes, I think so. The license allows distribution in any form,
source or binary... So, I suggest that you upload it to a dependable
host, such as SF, ibiblio.org or similar. people.apache.org --> I
wouldn't recommend it. ASF SVN --> yes, that should be Ok, but there
is a strong recommendation of not putting JARs in there... Also there
is a risk that the encumbrance around BDB is forgotten and used beyond
what is acceptable if it is 'laying around'.

Cheer
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er