www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Move log4cplus' license to ASL 2.0.
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 04:35:17 GMT
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr.<geir@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hm?
>
> I thought that rms hath decreed that thou shalt not use AL v1.1 with GPLv2.x
> unless thou shalt proceed to v3.  Three is the number, and the number is
> three. Four is right out...

Hmmm, this is weird. I now see the
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/ listing ASLv1.1 as incompatible
with GPL. But I also clearly remember that I made a complaint that
several FSF/Gnu packages were using Apache code, and received a very
nice mail back from FSF that the codebases in question was licensed
under ASLv1.1 (not v2) and therefor were compatible with the GPLv2.
Unfortunately, this is before I used GMail as mail backup, so the
response is lost.
Interesting it lists "strong prohibitions on the use of Apache-related
names" as the reason worth mentioning. I then assume that GNU has no
trademark policy, and that I can release modified GNU software (filled
with security problems and unethical code) under GPL, without worrying
about FSF coming after me? Geez....

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer