www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Should included public domain source code be tagged with ASF headers and be under ALv2
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 05:23:45 GMT
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Lawrence Rosen<lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Nope. They can't claim ownership or copyright or put it under a license.

This is contrary to previous discussion I have had with legally
educated people, who said (then) that publishing under Apache License
is "safer" than publishing it as "public domain" (which is what I
wanted to do with my own stuff). One of the argument brought forward
was that once it is in the public domain, anybody could do anything to
it, including claiming ownership of the "entire work derived", not
only the part that they "added", and that defending my own right of
using it would be a harder legal struggle than if I'd stick to the
Apache License...

Why can't law be like a computer program, complete with a test suite???

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er