www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Should included public domain source code be tagged with ASF headers and be under ALv2
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 04:43:01 GMT
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Nathan Beyer<ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:

> Well, we've finally got the SCM all worked out and the code is being
> managed and the changes and updates are happening. The headers have
> not been changed yet [3]. Is it appropriate for us to change the
> headers and effectively license the files under ALv2? Or should we
> just leave them alone?

IANAL, but AFAIUI, once someone says "this pile of work is under
public domain", then under most statues the author has no claims to
the work, and therefor anyone can take it and do whatever they want
with it, including claiming ownership, copyright and put it under a
license.

So, for Harmony, I would just suggest that you bring it in as if
someone in the community have developed it, but retain a friendly
attribution to Doug and a track record of how it arrived here (just in
case someone else claim we stole it).

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer