www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:22:57 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote:

>> Has this question been previously posed to the FSF? Have they stated
>> their position on the matter?
>
> I don't care what their position is.
>
> Let me be clear: is it legal for us to distribute code under the most
> righteous full blown GPL license or the most disdainful and foul
> proprietary license?  In both questions, the answer is unquestionably:
> yes.  Since the answer to that question is clear, we don't need to get
> anybody's permission.

Let me get this straight. You are willing to ignore a statement made
by the FSF acknowledging that copyleft licenses can be isolated via a
standardization layer?

If such a statement is ever made by the ASF, it could be very
constructive step for the oss community.

I repeat the original question for reference:

  The 2nd question in Legal-63 is whether an Apache Project can distribute a
  copylefted code which is isolated behind a "standard" layer
  distributed under a liberal (non-copyleft) license.

If the terms of the LGPL do not apply because there is no derivative
work, there is no legal ambiguity. I would also encourage readers of
this thread to consider this question beyond the specific case of
SLF4J and logback. It applies to various other configurations, for
instance JPA and Hibernate.

 > The question is whether we chose to be in the business of distributing
 > software which is made available under terms that are more restrictive
 > than the terms in our license?  The answer to this question is no.  We
 > leave that opportunity to others.

That is not the question being asked. If the terms of the (L)GPL do
not apply, we are back to the config.sub and glibc cases. The question
is whether the (L)GPL terms of apply, not whether ASF distributes such
software as the latter is merely one particular aspect of the problem.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch