www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:22:28 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote:

> We have ZERO problems with people who build distributions containing
> our work and combining it with licenses that are more restrictive than
> ours... whether that be proprietary or free.  In fact, that's what we
> positively wish to enable, and by that I mean BOTH distributors that
> wish to combine our work with proprietary software AND users that wish
> to combine our work with free software.
>
> As an example, IBM, Oracle, any other company can take our software
> and distribute it in binary only forms and not permit any
> modifications.  None of that would prevent other users from getting
> our distribution and doing what they want with it.
>
> We also have always allowed projects to code against POSIX, Java, and
> even Windows APIs despite the fact that until Harmony, NONE of the
> three were made available under licenses as liberal as ours.  The one
> thing that we have always decline to do, however, is distribute the
> POSIX, non-Apache licensed Java implementations, or Windows itself.
>
> The second question in Legal-63 is whether we should change this long
> standing policy.

In http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html you write that framing a
question matters. The second question in legal-63, is similar but not
the same as distributing Windows by an Apache project. The 2nd
question in Legal-63 is whether an Apache Project can distribute a
copylefted code which is isolated behind a "standard" layer
distributed under a liberal (non-copyleft) license.

Has this question been previously posed to the FSF? Have they stated
their position on the matter?

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch