www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:11:56 GMT

Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2009, at 6:54 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Ceki Gulcu wrote:
>>>
>>> I was discussing this issue with a friend and he mentioned the case of
>>> Apache APR.  What does APR do with the mother of all libraries, namely
>>> libc, which is licensed under the LGPL? Looking at the source code of
>>> APR, it seems to me that APR does link with glibc, or?
>>
>> This has all been asked and answered, glibc and autoconf, on the relevant
>> httpd and later the apr mailing lists.
>>
>> In short, we don't, it's not a hard dependency, it is a user-selected
>> dependency.  If you don't like it, download another libc implementation;
>> there are plenty of choices under various licenses.
>>
>> If the ASF were to ship a binary with glibc statically compiled, it would
>> not pose a problem as long as it is not a privately forked glibc.  The
>> source is available from the FSF and reverse engineering is permitted for
>> ASF works.
>
> This is not consistent with the position I have seen the legal committee
> take for years.

Comes as a bit of a surprise, doesn't it?

> Although reverse engineering of Apache code is allowable
> under the Apache license, it may not be under licenses our users choose
> to use.  And there are many cases where using such a library could
> require that the user of Apache's software must provide access to their
> source code so that reverse engineering can take place.

While William's reasoning is hard to follow he has got the relevant
exception clause on his side:

For reference:

# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch