www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:50:51 GMT
Ceki Gulcu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> On January 27 of this year I asked whether an Apache project could use
> an LGPLed library which was isolated behind a standardized interface
> distributed under the MIT license. Niclas Hedhman kindly replied that
> as long as the source code of the Apache projects referenced only the
> standardized interface (MIT licensed) and not the LGPLed library, then
> the Apache project's build scripts could reference the LGPLed library.
>
> Henri Yandell, then added:
>
> In addition to not distributing, the Apache project [should] also not be
> enabling the [LGPLed library] by default.
>
> It's not clear to me see what enabling a library by default means.
FYI, we (the MINA project) are using a LGPL library (rxtx lib). What we
did was to tell the users to download the lib (if they want to use it),
and to build the project with a special tag if they want to use this
library :

http://mina.apache.org/developer-guide.html#DeveloperGuide-BuildingMINA

Hope it gives you a clue (and hope that we are doing ok ;)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org