www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: LGPL software behind an isolation layer
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:35:34 GMT
Hello all,

On January 27 of this year I asked whether an Apache project could use
an LGPLed library which was isolated behind a standardized interface
distributed under the MIT license. Niclas Hedhman kindly replied that
as long as the source code of the Apache projects referenced only the
standardized interface (MIT licensed) and not the LGPLed library, then
the Apache project's build scripts could reference the LGPLed library.

Henri Yandell, then added:

In addition to not distributing, the Apache project [should] also not be
enabling the [LGPLed library] by default.

It's not clear to me see what enabling a library by default means.

I was discussing this issue with a friend and he mentioned the case of
Apache APR.  What does APR do with the mother of all libraries, namely
libc, which is licensed under the LGPL? Looking at the source code of
APR, it seems to me that APR does link with glibc, or?

Best regards,

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch