www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Move log4cplus' license to ASL 2.0.
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:30:23 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr.<geir@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Hm?
>>
>> I thought that rms hath decreed that thou shalt not use AL v1.1 with GPLv2.x
>> unless thou shalt proceed to v3.  Three is the number, and the number is
>> three. Four is right out...
>
> Hmmm, this is weird. I now see the
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/ listing ASLv1.1 as incompatible
> with GPL. But I also clearly remember that I made a complaint that
> several FSF/Gnu packages were using Apache code, and received a very
> nice mail back from FSF that the codebases in question was licensed
> under ASLv1.1 (not v2) and therefor were compatible with the GPLv2.
> Unfortunately, this is before I used GMail as mail backup, so the
> response is lost.
> Interesting it lists "strong prohibitions on the use of Apache-related
> names" as the reason worth mentioning. I then assume that GNU has no
> trademark policy, and that I can release modified GNU software (filled
> with security problems and unethical code) under GPL, without worrying
> about FSF coming after me? Geez....

It would be such a huge step forward for the global OS community if
the ASF and FSF could somehow reach compromise and settle some of their
licensing differences.

The naming restrictions the FSF brings up with respect to the ASL are
not a big deal and with no practical incidence. Similarly, the objections
the ASF has about the LGPL (but not the GPL) are equally unimportant,
again with no practical incidence.

I'd venture to say that the silent majority shares the same sentiment.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch