www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: WSRP4J
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:27:45 GMT
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Ate Douma<ate@douma.nu> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:

>>> I think Stefan Hepper really meant to say that at that time (2007) there
>>> was
>>> patent issue holding up WSRP 2.0 spec itself because WebCollage, claiming
>>> patent on WSRP 1.0 which extends on the WSRP 2.0 spec as well, did not
>>> (at
>>> that time) extend their grant to V2.0.
>>> I Assume they resolved that in the end for V2.0, however the the OASIS
>>> WSRP
>>> IPR page, http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrp/ipr.php, only
>>> mentions
>>> patent claims for the V1.0 spec.
>>> AINAL I don't really know how to "read" such claims with respect to
>>> automatic extendability, but as WSRP V2.0 builds upon WSRP 1.0, I assume
>>>  the same patent claims apply for both.
>>
>> That same page says:
>>
>> "WebCollage will ... provide ... a ... royalty-free patent license"
>>
>> What's the isssue?
>
> Sam,
>
> The issue has been discussed already a year ago on legal-interal@ in which
> you also participated...

I'm not questioning that.

> The situation is stalled since then where the last concrete suggestion given
> required involvement of a lawyer, which hasn't happened yet.

I need somebody to refresh my memory on what that concrete suggestion
was.  Offlist is fine.  I'm on IRC and IM if that helps (see
members.txt for contact info).

> To be honest, we (Portals PMC) also let it slip (again) since then, but we
> still would like this issue to be resolved.
> That's why I asked in the latest WSRP4J incubator report for further legal
> assistance.

What, specifically, are you looking for.  I see that you believe that
WebCollage has provided terms that weren't considered reasonable.  Can
you point me (possibly again, and if so, I'm sorry) to those terms?

> Regards,
>
> Ate

- Sam Ruby