www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Nathan Beyer <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Should included public domain source code be tagged with ASF headers and be under ALv2
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 01:13:26 GMT
The Apache Harmony project uses the concurrency source code that's
provided by Doug Lea on the concurrency interest site [1]. The code is
mostly tagged with a Creative Commons header that gives notice that
it's public domain [2]. The code that isn't in the public domain is
not used. For the most part, we avoid modifying this code, unless a
bug needs fixing or some other notable issue -- even so, the code has
been modified.

A few ApacheCons ago, I had a discussion with a few folks about what
to do with this code, as at the time, it wasn't modified at all and we
attempted to maintain the public domain code in a separate part of the
SCM, but I could see that coming. It was suggested we just take the
code in and manage it like the rest of our code base and replace the
file headers with the standard ASF file header that indicates it's now
under the ALv2, as that is really the case.

Well, we've finally got the SCM all worked out and the code is being
managed and the changes and updates are happening. The headers have
not been changed yet [3]. Is it appropriate for us to change the
headers and effectively license the files under ALv2? Or should we
just leave them alone?

-Nathan

[1] http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/main/java/util/
[2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/