www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject RandomGUID license compatibility
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:56:06 GMT
In doing the IP clearance for Wookie (Incubating) we came accross the
use of RandomGUID [1].

This document has no clear licence attached to it. The header contains
"Open Source Licensing" which implies that the intent is to make it
open source, but it is not clear under which license (perhaps they
mean "Open Source License"). I've mailed the author for clarification
but heard nothing as yet.

On further investigation Scott Wilson found the same file in use in
Apache Roller [2] which implies this has already gone through ASF
clearance. But I see no discussion of it on the Roller or
Legal-Discuss lists

Any thoughts on the use of this class?

Ross

[1] http://www.javaexchange.com/aboutRandomGUID.html
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/roller/branches/roller_2.3/src/org/apache/roller/util/RandomGUID.java

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk