www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Open source license that accomodates the MPL, Apache and GPL 2
Date Sat, 25 Jul 2009 20:43:13 GMT
Barbara Richards wrote:

> We have an incompatibility issue due to the combination of Apache
> licenses with my SQL database (licensed with the GPL 2)

I doubt you do.  SQL offers you an exception clause to combine under.
But note that it requires the entire work to be copy-left.  So the rest
of your sources become AL + copyleft requirement.  (Google MySQL license
open source exception)

Unlike GPL, the Apache License imposes no constraints on adding additional
requirements.

> and software licensed with the MPL.

Can't help you there, be specific

> The GPL 3 does not allow for the MPL.  We could write an exception,
> except that combining the MPL with mySQL makes a derivative that would
> then have to be licensed under the GPL 2 since that is what My SQL is
> licensed on.  Since Apache is not compatible with the GPL 2, we are now
> a bit stuck.

That is really a question for an MPL or GPL license list.  As we say,
the MySQL GPLv2 doesn't poison your work provided you are aware that
it introduces a copy-left restriction on the complete source/binaries
you distribute.