www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: RandomGUID license compatibility
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:26:01 GMT
I apologize as this isn't exactly on topic for this list, but we
recently had discussions about the various ways of creating "unique"
ids at work. None them generate truly unique ids, just ids with a very
low probability of reoccurance. We used to use code like that in the
link I mentioned but recently switched to java.util.UUID.randomUUID.
Frankly, my instinct tells me that the algorithm in RandomGUID is
actually better since it has a time component, machine component and a
decently large random component. Unfortunately, my math skills are too
rusty to calculate which is better, but I'd love to see an article on
that.

Ralph