www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: License question
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:51:16 GMT
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Ted Ross<tross@redhat.com> wrote:
> I would like to add a new m4 macro definition (AC_PROG_SWIG) to the CPP
> build directory but it has the following license text.  I understand that
> GPLv2 is not compatible with the Apache license but I don't know if the
> stated exceptions make it ok to incorporate this source.
>
> Can someone with more legal knowledge that I have weigh in on this?

IANAL, nor do I remember if this has been discussed in the past.
My interpretation is roughly; If your project is listing M4 as a
system requirement, i.e. similar to what the JDK/JRE is for a Java
application, and if your M4 macro is brand new, I don't see how GPL of
M4 could force your M4 macro into GPL. If you are modifying another
person's macro, then the exception clauses you mention would kick in,
i.e. "it depends".

> # LICENSE
> #

Where was this text from?
I think it would help if you could explain to us mere mortals how the
M4 process work, in case we are talking code generation, inheritance
and other messy circumstances.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer