www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Research papers in Apache project SVN?
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:59:02 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Thilo Goetz<twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
> Well, I'm not a lawyer either :-)  What I meant was, we have
> permission to put these papers up on our website, but the
> content is not under an open source license in any way.

Sounds like we have a right to redistribute those papers in unmodified
form, so the case is similar to what we've discussed about standard
API jars and other similar resources (see LEGAL-36 and LEGAL-50 for
examples).

The emerging consensus seems to be that such resources are OK for
inclusion in binary distributions, but should not be kept in the "work
area for our product development" [1]. The same thread also makes a
distinction between the "information space" for "production" (i.e. the
trunks, branches, etc. we use when working on our software) and other
spaces like project web sites or release distribution directories.

Based on that distinction I don't think there's anything wrong with
publishing such papers on our web sites as long as they're kept away
from the normal source trunk and clearly labelled as non- open source
resources.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/vjycvh7z3hoqkk4q

BR,

Jukka Zitting