www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Sat, 09 May 2009 15:14:51 GMT
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Henri Yandell projected:
> > * Two lawyers wondered why this was wasting space on legal-discuss@.
>
> The rest of your 11 "clarifications" of project release made a little sense
> but, speaking for myself, this one misrepresents my opinion. (I won't speak
> for Jeff, though.)
>
> I think this is a very important topic to bring up at ASF, and I honestly
> believe that Roy's words, and a detailed description of the process you use
> to release software (as that process has evolved over time), ought to be
> carved somewhere on the ASF website. New members like me and new software
> projects that seek to join ASF would find this information useful.

I originally had hopes that we could drive this to some consensus and carve
it and begin the process of bringing projects into compliance with whatever
was decided. Unfortunately, the thread got hijacked to a non-publically
archived list (site-dev) where there apparently is no voting. People just
make patches and the few people watching that list offer suggestions which
may or may not be included (or wiped away with whole new patches) and then
the documents are simply changed. If you're a member and have access to
those archives, I suggest you take a read for yourself, perhaps it will be
eye-opening for you as it was for me.

The current changes that resulted from this didn't really go too far over
what was there and have the unfortunate side effect that there is still some
discrepancy in the oral tradition and what everyone does, meaning this will
come back eventually.