www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Sun, 10 May 2009 01:33:34 GMT

On 10/05/2009, at 1:14 AM, Brian Fox wrote:

> I originally had hopes that we could drive this to some consensus
> and carve it and begin the process of bringing projects into
> compliance with whatever was decided. Unfortunately, the thread got
> hijacked to a non-publically archived list (site-dev) where there
> apparently is no voting.

I don't think that's a fair characterization. I had no intention of
hijacking the thread, I was trying to do something constructive with a
decidedly non-constructive thread, in the place documented on the site
currently as the place to discuss it. I told everyone where I was
posting it. I thought it was publicly archived, I was wrong, but I'm
sure we can fix that.

> People just make patches and the few people watching that list offer
> suggestions which may or may not be included (or wiped away with
> whole new patches) and then the documents are simply changed. If
> you're a member and have access to those archives, I suggest you
> take a read for yourself, perhaps it will be eye-opening for you as
> it was for me.
>
> The current changes that resulted from this didn't really go too far
> over what was there and have the unfortunate side effect that there
> is still some discrepancy in the oral tradition and what everyone
> does, meaning this will come back eventually.

Everything I saw was folks arguing about who had the right to decide
on a change that everyone seemed to agree on. If I missed it, can you
please point to the message ID where you pointed out that discrepancy?

- Brett