www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: VCL project name
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 18:27:52 GMT
Folks,

Can I summarize?

1. ASF creates and distributes "Apache VCL" software. Nobody is trying to
prevent us from calling it that. We've decided we're not interested in "VCL"
as our trademark, although "Apache" and "Apache VCL" are our trademarks.
(Indeed, "Apache XXX" is our trademark for software, where XXX is any
non-trademarked word in the world, or at least we'd like the world to
believe we're that famous!)

2. NCSU offers software and services relating somehow to Apache VCL software
that they call "NCSU VCL" software and/or services. NCSU was first to use
the VCL name, long before ASF did, and so nobody can prevent NCSU from
calling their software/services NCSU VCL. NCSU has decided it is not
interested in "VCL" as a trademark for their software/services, which we
know for certain because they helped us name our own software Apache VCL and
contributed to the project at ASF.

3. Other people want to call their software/services "XXXXX VCL", whether it
relates to Apache VCL software or not. ASF doesn't care; we don't have a
trademark on VCL. NCSU doesn't care; it doesn't have a trademark on VCL.
Nobody can prevent other people from calling their software/services XXXXX
VCL, where XXXXX is any non-trademarked word in the world!

4, If this story were about "Lucene" or "Harmony" or "SpamAssassin" or other
ASF names famous on their own, it might have a different ending.

What's the problem about "VCL" that you're trying to solve?

/Larry

bcc: legal-internal