www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: System dependency on a PFD API from JCP
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 13:44:11 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Portals just had a similar discussion about the portlet api jar. They are
> creating their own. I believe Geronimo has done the same. I would suggest
> that it would make more sense for Jackrabbit to create their own API jar
> than to require the API jar to be downloaded before Jackrabbit can be used.

Note that the final JCR 2.0 API jar is expected to be made available
under similar terms as JCR 1.0 API (which is OK for inclusion in
Apache projects), so this is not an ongoing issue that will affect the
final Jackrabbit 2.0 release.

I'm just looking for a solution that works for early users that want
to review and test the JCR 2.0 features before the standard is
finalized.

We could recreate the API jar outselves or I could ask the spec lead
to release also the PFD jar under the final spec license, but since
the very purpose of the early Jackrabbit 2.0 milestones is to allow
people to review how the JCR 2.0 draft works in practice, I don't
think having the users to download the API from jcp.org is too much to
ask.

BR,

Jukka Zitting