www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 17:22:19 GMT

On May 7, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> Without question the single most popular form of building from source
>> in Java projects is not from source archives. In Maven all our users
>> always try and build from tags.
>
> That's not true of Apache Java projects I've worked on.  In these,
> release artifacts are built (source and binary), voted on, and, if
> the vote passes, a tag is created.  Releases are built from a
> branch, and the branch is not altered during voting.  If someone
> wanted to alter a branch during voting, then a temporary release
> candidate tag could be used to checkpoint the branch.
>
> In these Java projects, tags are a convenience, not a necessity.

1. I may be putting words in his mouth but I think Jason was trying to
say that building from svn checkouts/exports is more usual that
building from unpacked source archives for those who want to build a
binary of a released artifact for themselves.  AFAICT the behavior of
the projects you mention support this generalization.

2. The process you describe appears to me to be contrary to the
current draft of the release.xml guidelines being constructed on site-
dev:

+<p>The foundation of every ASF release is a known, identified, and
+immutable scm location, such as svn path and revision.  Every artifact
+in a release must be derived from this scm location by a documented and
+repeatable process, such as a build script.
+</p>
+

I think that to follow the release.xml procedures you'd have to
include the rev number from which the release artifacts are built in
the vote and not create the tag after the vote.

thanks
david jencks