www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <hyand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VCL project name
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 03:04:31 GMT
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>
>> Take for example the donation of ServiceMix by LogicBlaze.  LogicBlaze
>> renamed its product offering of ServiceMix to FUSE.
>
> Reread the request!
>
> They aren't asking to brand a fork of the software, or similar that you
> are citing.
>
> They are asking if they provide the "VCL Server" will we be mad?
>
> No more than if they hosted an "Apache HTTP Server" or "Tomcat Server".
>
> If they shipped software they called "VCL" then yes, we would take issue.

Nope - they're asking if they brand a service "VCL" will we be mad.

Akin to my setting up a hosting service called "Tomcat" (or DimSum
Tomcat) that lets people log in and run their own Tomcat servers. Plus
if I decide to throw out Tomcat and use Jetty instead, I still get to
call it DimSum Tomcat.

Hen