www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject LGPL3 -> Category X confirmation
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 08:39:50 GMT
The recent JIRA issue asks what the status of LGPL3 is at the ASF.
Currently we list it as a Category X license along with LGPL2 with the
reason that:

"The LGPL is ineligible primarily due to the restrictions it places on
larger works"

Much as I'd love to say that LGPL is akin to CDDL/MPL/EPL (ie: a
category B aka binary only), it still contains such items. From
section 4 of LGPL 3:

"You may convey a Combined Work under terms of your choice that, taken
together, effectively do not restrict modification of the portions of
the Library contained in the Combined Work and reverse engineering for
debugging such modifications, if you also do each of the following:"

Section 4d) also says that the user has to be able to replace the LGPL
jar with an alternative (nominally a modified version of the
original).

[Must admit that I don't get section 5 - I think it says that you can
fork the LGPL library and relicense under a license of your choice, as
long as you also distribute the original pre-forked copy and make that
available. Seems odd and presumably is an argument about what is and
isn't an Application. I suspect it's as long as you don't change the
non-private API. ]

Anyway... reason for email. I'd like to confirm with consensus that
LGPL 3 is still not a category B, and what the issues are. For
example:

* A license that says you can't take away the right to modify.
* A license that says you can't take away the right to use a modified version.
* A license that says you have to be able to reverse engineer to debug
the modified version [this being the main one - 'reverse engineer'
implies an additional right on the combined work].
* Any of GPL3, which applies to LGPL3 unless overriden.

Hen