www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Including generated documents (pdf) in release pack - Apache Stonehenge
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 12:44:41 GMT
On 15/05/2009, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Selvaratnam Uthaiyashankar
>  <uthaiyashankar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > We are working on the first(M1) release of Apache Stonehenge
>  > (incubator) Project. We have included some pdf documents in the
>  > release artifact [1] (source pack as well as binary pack), which are
>  > generated from wiki pages [2]. Is it ok to include them in the release
>  > artifact (specially, in source artifacts)? (Since these documents are
>  > not in svn, it was suggested better to check with legal-discuss [3]).
>  >
>  > If it is ok to include, do we need any licencing information included?
>

> AFAIK, it is Ok to put generated files in the source releases, and I
>  don't think you need any extra licensing information for the PDF, but
>  should probably mention trademarks and logos are not Apache licensed,
>  and any downstream use of those would need to get clearance from the
>  PRC.

In this instance, the PDF files are generated from Confluence, and the
Confluence source files are not stored in the source archive or SVN.

This appears to go against http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
which includes the following:

"All releases are in the form of the source materials needed to make
changes to the software being released."

Also:

" ...the binary/bytecode package ... may only add binary/bytecode
files that are the result of compiling that version of the source code
release."

which appears to preclude adding the PDF directly to the binary package.

I don't think there's a problem with the licensing of the PDFs, but
ISTM that there is a problem with traceability and maintainablility.