www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Josh Thompson <josh_thomp...@ncsu.edu>
Subject Re: VCL project name
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 12:34:23 GMT

On Thursday May 28, 2009, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
>
> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> > Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> >> Take for example the donation of ServiceMix by LogicBlaze.  LogicBlaze
> >> renamed its product offering of ServiceMix to FUSE.
> >
> > Reread the request!
> >
> > They aren't asking to brand a fork of the software, or similar that you
> > are citing.
> >
> > They are asking if they provide the "VCL Server" will we be mad?
> >
> > No more than if they hosted an "Apache HTTP Server" or "Tomcat Server".
> >
> > If they shipped software they called "VCL" then yes, we would take issue.
>
> Nope - they're asking if they brand a service "VCL" will we be mad.
>
> Akin to my setting up a hosting service called "Tomcat" (or DimSum
> Tomcat) that lets people log in and run their own Tomcat servers. Plus
> if I decide to throw out Tomcat and use Jetty instead, I still get to
> call it DimSum Tomcat.
>
> Hen

Hen is correct about it being a service.  The VCL software is designed to be
run as a service.  The software was initially developed at NCSU, and they
have a service that was initially known as "VCL".  As other institutions
started using the software, NCSU changed their service to be "NCSU VCL" and
allowed others to brand their services as "<institution name> VCL" (i.e. "GMU
VCL").  It was assumed that with moving the development of the software to
ASF, it would be named "Apache VCL" and that people using it would have the
option to name their services "<institution name> VCL".

There was much discussion on the vcl-dev@incubator.a.o list about whether or
not there were legal issues with that; thus, the discussion was brought up on
legal-discuss@.

Also, there's a possibility that it may be technically legal, but ASF would
frown on it.  People at NCSU have thought that using the name Apache VCL
would bring those that already knew about VCL while it was developed at NCSU
to the ASF community.  Thus, it has been confusing that an action that was
motivated by the goal of building Apache VCL community would be frowned upon.
As a new project that is trying to make it in the ASF Way, we want to avoid
being frowned upon. :)

Thanks for the guidance,
Josh
- --