www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Josh Thompson <josh_thomp...@ncsu.edu>
Subject Re: VCL project name
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 14:46:44 GMT

To the legal-discuss list:

- From those on the legal-discuss list, there's one thing NCSU would like to get
clarification on.  If NCSU more clearly donates the name "VCL" to Apache,
would NCSU still be allowed to run a service that contains "VCL" in the name
of the service?

Whether or not the Apache project name changes, the NCSU site
(http://vcl.ncsu.edu) will be updated to clearly reflect that the code
powering the service is from Apache.  As a bit of background, while
development of VCL was at NCSU, NCSU had no problems with other universities
using the code to run a service named "VCL" at their own site.  It was just
asked that somewhere on the site, NCSU was credited with the development of
VCL.  When moving the code to Apache, it was assumed that this same
arrangement would be allowed (i.e. Apache credited with the development of
VCL).  It's okay if that's not the case, but it would be helpful to have some
legal reasons explaining why.

To the vcl-dev list:

If using "VCL" in the name of the service would not be allowed, what do people
in the VCL community think of changing the Apache project name to VCloud?
That name was previously mentioned by Sam in this message:

On Friday May 01, 2009, aaron_peeler@ncsu.edu wrote:
> Matt, Alan, Kevan,
> Any additional information on the project name ?
> I found this in the archives:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200904.mbox/%3C4
> In particular:
> "If you want to continue to use VCL, I'd recommend asking NCSU to make
> more obvious their donation to Apache and their intent to donate not
> only the code but the name. This would allow us to claim historic use
> of the name. If not, find another name."
> How do we donate the name?
> NCSU is taking efforts to make the donation more obvious at the ncsu site.
> Thanks for any advice,
> Aaron
- --
Josh Thompson