www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Legal Requirements for using Apache JIRA to track iCLAs
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:08:58 GMT
The current CLA submission process is described here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#cla-registration

I'd like to make a suggestion that emails be sent to people to submitting
iCLAs so that they have idea of the status of their submission. I'd suggest
sending emails when an iCLA has been received, when it has been acknowledged
and finally when it has been registered.

This would improve the process and avoid emails in the podling mailing lists
asking about the status of individual iCLA submissions.

I've just submitted an iCLA via email and I have no way to check its status
besides looking at the Committers' page (
http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html) on a daily basis.

In a discussion on the general@incubator.apache.org, list Robert Burrell
Donkin suggested using Jira to keep track of the submissions.

I'd like to know about the legal requirements of using JIRA in this way. My
idea would be to scan in the faxed and mailed iCLAs, create a JIRA item and
mail the link to submitter. Of course, scanning in the documents would
require more effort but in the long term would probably lead to more
effeciency and faster turn-arounds.

D.