www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:54:39 GMT
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Todd Volkert <tvolkert@gmail.com> wrote:
> ....Our project would contains some code (< 1%) that cannot be released
> under the Apache License, so in our "dist" build target, we strip out
> that portion of our codebase and produce a source distribution without
> the offending code....

IANAL and I'm not sure what our documented policy is on this (assuming
we have one), but I don't like this, from a practical point of view.

It seems easy for something to go wrong later in the project,
resulting in that code being included in distributions and potentially
causing trouble.

I would much prefer hosting the non-compliant parts outside of ASF repositories.

-Bertrand