www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: OT - Law Firm engagement
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:59:03 GMT
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Henri Yandell <hyandell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Wes Wannemacher <wesw@wantii.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I own and operate a small c-corp with myself as the sole programmer /
>> engineer. I am applying for Professional Information Technology Liability
>> insurance and on the application it asks whether or not I have ever sought
>> legal counsel regarding intellectual property matters. I have posted questions
>> to this list (regarding the open source projects I work on), but I don't know
>> if that counts.
>
> Definitely doesn't :) Thus all the:
>
> "IANAL", "Talk to your own lawyer" and "This is not Legal advice"
> clauses that people have to include in their emails.
>
> Hen

Don't get me wrong, I have an attorney... I use him to review
contracts, advise me on my rights when someone doesn't want to pay,
etc. To me, that's routine stuff that most local attorneys can take
care of. But, if someone read some of my code and accused me of
copyright infringement, then my attorney would be completely *lost*. I
was sort of hoping there would be a IAAL on this list that would say -
"sure, Wes, if you ever have a problem, you can call my firm." Then, I
can fill them in on my insurance app, as well as know who I will call
should the need arise.

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice