www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 01:44:19 GMT
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:28 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For a C project, does a source distro have to include make files?  If so,
> why doesn'ti it have to include make and the compiler as well?  I'm no C
> expert but I believe it's possible although  perhaps impractical to build a
> project using just the compiler...

All C/C++ projects that I have downloaded 'recently' (last 5years or
so) all comes complete, typically listing the "system requirements",
which may be gnu C compiler, Make, Autoconf and often a bunch of
libraries of particular versions.

In my personal opinion, I am not fond of cyclic system requirements,
e.g. Gnu C compiler depends on an earlier version of itself or that
Maven core has a system reqiurement of Maven plugins that in turn
depend on Maven core. But I have said that I understand the trickiness
on having Maven bootstrap itself from scratch, and will not push it
for Maven. Ideally, Maven would bootstrap itself via something like
Ant, Make or shell scripts. Listing "Linux" as a system requirement
for building Maven is IMHO better than listing "Maven" or "online
access and a previous version of Maven will be used...", but I don't
hope for such.

> BTW --although IMO this belongs on the maven list -- I assume this tool
> would extract the pom from the (binary) jar and the source from the source
> jar and make a maven project lacking tests?

IMHO, "lacking tests" sounds like a really, really bad idea. PMC
members are expected to at least run minimal tests on their platform
especially to catch problems related to platform dependent
corner-cases.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer