www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Maven Releases
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 03:31:41 GMT
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Licensing of the components downloaded/used by Maven. Probably best
> argued by looking at specific cases. Perhaps also a documentation
> issue.
>
> 2) The nature or presence of source releases. Is a -sources artifact,
> an svn tag, or the packaged (and signed) content of a tag enough to
> satisfy our policies?

Thanks for helping untangling the situation.

To simplify it even further, I would like to bring attention to 2),
and for a moment leave the "licensing unclarity" related to Maven
produced/used artifacts out (although it relates a bit).

Maven as a build system produces the following file types for a given project;

<artifact>-<version>.jar
<artifact>-<version>.jar.asc
<artifact>-<version>.jar.asc.md5
<artifact>-<version>.jar.asc.sha1
<artifact>-<version>.jar.md5
<artifact>-<version>.jar.sha1

<artifact>-<version>-javadoc.jar
<artifact>-<version>-javadoc.jar.asc
<artifact>-<version>-javadoc.jar.asc.md5
<artifact>-<version>-javadoc.jar.asc.sha1
<artifact>-<version>-javadoc.jar.md5
<artifact>-<version>-javadoc.jar.sha1

<artifact>-<version>-sources.jar
<artifact>-<version>-sources.jar.asc
<artifact>-<version>-sources.jar.asc.md5
<artifact>-<version>-sources.jar.asc.sha1
<artifact>-<version>-sources.jar.md5
<artifact>-<version>-sources.jar.sha1

<artifact>-<version>.pom
<artifact>-<version>.pom.asc
<artifact>-<version>.pom.asc.md5
<artifact>-<version>.pom.asc.sha1
<artifact>-<version>.pom.md5
<artifact>-<version>.pom.sha1

For the simplest case, the following is required to build from sources;

mkdir <artifact>
cd <artifact>
jar xf <artifact>-<version>.pom
mkdir -p src/main/java
cd src/main/java
jar xf <artifact>-<version>.jar
mkdir -p ../resources/META-INF
mv LICENSE ../resources/META-INF
mv NOTICE ../resources/META-INF
<possibly other shuffling around, if other resources are part of project>
cd ../../../
mvn install

IIRC, testcases are not included in -sources.jar and won't be
available unless checking out from SVN.

IMHO, Maven produced "releases" are not in the spirit of "ASF Open
Source Release" policy, and the reason why I and others have told
endless number of podlings to fix up their release process. But that
means Maven itself with its endless number of artifacts, are also not
in this spirit, in which case there are only 3 options;

1. Allow Maven itself to be an exception.

2. Allow all Maven-based projects to follow the Maven project release style.

3. Disallow Maven to continue doing this.

I am personally Ok with either one, but 1. needs some serious argument to stick.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er