www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Licensing pertaining to what's in SVN vs. what's in distributions
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2009 03:30:13 GMT
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au> wrote:

> Legally, intent is not important. Just ask the defendants/victims of the
> RIAA's lawsuits in the USA. Their state of mind is not relevant. I'm
> guessing a large number of people using bitTorrent aren't aware that they
> are publishing anything.

The Pirate Bay court conviction last week makes it illegal to provide
a link which may result in users not obeying Copyright and TradeMark
law. The only difference between The Pirate Bay and Google, according
to the court, is that there was intent. So, I challenge your assertion
that intent is not legally important in these matters.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er