www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Maven Releases
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 07:55:00 GMT

On Apr 27, 2009, at 12:22 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
> > wrote:
>> Bugs in the maven build belong on maven dev, not here.  I don't see
>> why
>> legal discuss needs to be involved with what projects do in their
>> build
>> process. We've OK'd using GPL stuff to build Apache websites and
>> other tools
>> used in the build. What isn't OK is if the actual release isn't
>> compatible.
>> If you have problems with what an actual release requires that is
>> fine, but
>> you should still bring it up on Maven dev before this mailing list
>> needs to
>> be involved.
>
> Cool down. Are you upset that it is Maven, or that a project specific
> case is being discussed?

I could care less that it is Maven. What I care about is that you are
discussing a build (and one that has bugs in it apparently), not a
release. As I said, the only discussions I've seen on this list
regarding tools that projects use have been that that is pretty
liberal. For example, I recall seeing a project mention something
about IBM donating a WebSphere license for testing purposes. No one
had a problem with that. So I wonder why you are posting an email that
talks about a build process and complains about bugs in the process on
the legal discuss list. Take it up with the project first. If you
don't get satisfactory resolution then come back.

Ralph