www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Maven Releases
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:38:49 GMT
Many projects don't provide a source jar. When it is provided,
typically the source jar is only usable for debugging purposes. As far
as I am concerned that is fine.

The "release" is actually the tag in SVN. Most, if not all, projects
provide the binary artifacts of building that tag for users. In the
case of Java applications that is almost always used by users instead
of building the source on your own. But as Roy likes to say, we
release source not binaries.  However, the dependencies the binaries
have at run time have always been where the policy has focused. After
all, if a unit test requires GPL'd software that is fine as it only
makes the unit test a derivative work, not the component being
released. If the build wants to use some GPL'd tool to build the
project web site, so what? For example, checkstyle is used by lots of
projects and it is under the LGPL. Some projects might use Clover to
generate a code coverage report, which Atlassian allows open source
projects to use for free but is a commercial project. If they don't
use Clover then they might use Cobertura, which is licensed under the
GPL. Neither of these have ever been a problem because they don't
cause the artifact being released to require anything besides the
Apache license.

I have never seen any policy that says everything used in the build
process must have a license compatible with the Apache license.

Ralph