www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:04:46 GMT

On Apr 29, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Nathan Beyer wrote:

>> If you want to consider your SCM unreliable then sure.
>
> It's a distributed/networked system, you have to assume it will be
> unreliable.

Huh?
So if I do a checkout of trunk and someone does a commit while I am
doing that I am going to get a screwed up checkout? I don't think so.

If I checkout a tag and someone screws with the tag while I am
checking out (highly unlikely) no matter what system you use this will
be screwed up. If I don't get the change then what I "released", even
if I tar it up first and build from the tar,  doesn't match the tag -
which is unacceptable. While the source tar has to be buildable SVN
has to be the system of record. If it can't be trusted to be then we
should just call it a day.