www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:36:00 GMT

On 29-Apr-09, at 12:30 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Jason van Zyl
> <jvanzyl@sonatype.com> wrote:
>> So you do exactly what Maven does. Roy's argument is those
>> convenience JARs
>> are not self-buildable and are not created properly because the Maven
>> tooling doesn't create the binary from the archive first.
>
> In Jackrabbit we actually start with the source package and mvn deploy
> (via a staged repository, manual for now, repository.a.o soon) from
> there (i.e. we don't use the release plugin). But the end result is
> pretty much equivalent to having a source assembly.
>
> Anything that (essentially) matches the contents of svn and can be
> built to produce the other release artifacts is IMHO fine as a source
> release.

I agree and this is generally standard practice by SCM teams. It's
predicated on immutable tagging and the SCM being reliable. I can see
why Roy wants it done from the source archive here because we've never
setup CVS or SVN to follow SCM best practices and it's not uncommon
for SVN to be out for unacceptable periods of time. So I can see where
Roy's methodology came from. I've seen lots of diddled tags (though
this is pretty much impossible with mvn -B release:prepare
release:perform) and SVN has been unavailable more often then I would
like to admit to the outside world.

>> You do what every Maven project does that uses the Maven release
>> plugin in
>> conjunction with a source assembly for the official release.
>
> Having a source assembly for the release is IMHO perfectly fine.

I agree, and it's also probably not too hard to change things in a
standard way on the Maven side to roll the source assembly and build
the binary distributable from that given our best effort setup here.

> I think the controversy started with the Shindig release that didn't
> have such a package, only the -sources jars targeted for IDEs. Not
> sure whether same applies to Maven plugin releases.

Yup.

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Thanks,