www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:45:33 GMT

----- Original Message ----

The people who determine a policy at the ASF are usually the people
who have commit rights to the document containing the policy.

> my mistaken assumption was that it was for the nuts and bolts
> of the machinery that supports the projects and for new projects joining.

Infra has needs of its own regarding policy.  One of those
needs is the ability to actually make compliance decisions
based on the document in question.

>From the svn authorization file:

[/infrastructure/site]
@infrastructure = rw
@members = rw
@pmc-chairs = rw
@apsite = rw
* = r

>From the svn mailer file:

# Site and site-tools
[/infrastructure/site]
for_paths = infrastructure/(site|site-tools)/
to_addr = site-cvs@apache.org

And here's the headers for site-cvs@. Note the reply-to part:

hermes% less ~/lists/apache.org/site-cvs/headeradd

The site-cvs list is overseen by infra and has an open subscription policy.

In other words, anyone can review changes to /dev/release.html, but only
members, pmc-chairs, people with apsite karma, and the infrastructure team
can make changes to it.  Any changes to said policy are supposed to be
discussed on the infrastructure@ list, unless there is an issue regarding
the legal risks associated with what we've written down.