www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:50:52 GMT
I'm glad to wake up and find the discussion going in the direction that
I was hoping it would, that is towards writing these things down and
then getting some member approval to make sure it gets the "official"
stamp and associated project buy in.

The fundamental difference seems to be that Maven uses the svn tag as
the master source to produce both the source archives and binaries that
are voted on, and Httpd first makes a source archive that is then used
to build. These are slight differences on the same theme. (there is a
further issue for some maven projects that don't produce the
encompassing archive but that can be corrected).

Assuming the build must execute on a source archive and not a tag, we
would have to build new tooling to support it. I don't think however
that this would be used very much outside of the ASF. I've trained
hundreds of users on the maven release process at many companies and
never once have I been asked to first produce a source archive and then
use it to build. Everyone considers the tag to be sancrosanct and they
want to be sure that they can build from the tag, not some tarball that
is disconnected from the scm.

That's not to say that we won't create a solution for ASF projects, but
it seems to be that everyone should be in agreement that this is a
required shift before we go and build a one-off chunk of code. I would
like to suggest that given so many projects are doing it differently for
such a long period of time, that perhaps this subtle change is really
not such a fundamental problem provided that the main goal is to produce
a buildable sourcearchive and that the order is less important.