www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: Clarification on the release requirements
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 02:01:59 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Brian Fox <brianf@infinity.nu> wrote:
>

>> How can you audit the PMCs when these policies are not even documented
>> anywhere? Perhaps the membership isn't even aware of these policies to start
>> with and thus there might be wide disagreement? One can't know until it's
>> written down and everyone can see it clearly.
>>

> I wrote somewhere "advisory audit", meaning detection in malpractice
> and help to rectify.
>
> Clarifications to documents is of course better, BUT it also feels
> that ASF has grown so fast that many don't get TheApacheWay in this
> area, which saddens me.

Clarifications to the documents is the _only_ way to solve this once and
for all...otherwise everything is just an opinion, there's nothing
official. If there is, please point me to it. I think the process as
described so far is pretty overbearing, but that's just my opinion for
now and as such pretty irrelevant. We can't really build a proper
process on unofficial opinions, mine or anyone else's. (well we could,
but then we'd be back to the discussion again and again).

I can hear the passion in Roy's emails but what surprises me is that if
it's so fundamental and passionate, that it is completely not covered
anywhere public. And because of that, the current (seemingly not legit
process) is so widespread throughout the organization, which no offense
intended, makes me curious if we have the whole story so far.