www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CLA vs Grant
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:15:40 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

>>> IMO, it's not required, but I believe they should still file a grant
>>> for large independent software chunks which were not developed at ASF.
>>>  I like belt and suspenders.  =P  -- justin
>>>
>> That doesn't actually help us.  An argument can be made that if we
>> require both than we must have some belief that the one is not
>> sufficient, which can then be used against us if there is only a CLA.
>>
>> We don't need both so we don't require both.  We aren't going to
>> complain if we receive both, but we don't require both.
>>

> If there is a large contribution (and, no, I don't have a precise
> definition for "large"), I would prefer to see our IP clearance rules
> followed:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> Two concrete cases just for illustration purposes: if it turns out
> that the code was developed all by a single individual and is "clean",
> then I see no need for an additional grant.  If, however, there is any
> question as to whether a person's employer may have the right to make
> a claim of ownership against such software, I would encourage that
> author to work this out with their employer, possibly resulting in a
> grant.

The case that led to this question is code that an individual has
attached to a JIRA patch and he
has confirmed it is his own code.  He has also confirmed that he has
rights to contribute the code and has signed a CLA.
The contribution consists of 11 java classes, all less than 150 lines in
length, all consisting of implementations of interfaces defined in
commons-math.

Based on the first concrete case above, I conclude that a grant is not
required in this case.

Phil